Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Eensy Little Soufflé Update

You can see it on the left, soufflé iteration number two. Clearly, it’s risen. But not in the way one wants. This is such a strange science. Why would the thing rise on the edges for Julia and in the center for me? What entices a soufflé to rise where one wants it to rise? This is even more difficult than love.

Still, it did rise. Here’s what I did differently:

1. I did not open a bottle of wine just before beating the egg whites.

2. I folded the whites into the yolk mixture, but just barely. In number one I was quite gentle, but I folded until the mixture was more or less all yellow. This time I left large patches of almost-white. This did not seem to affect the consistency of the soufflé when I served it (to me).

3. I cooked it a bit longer. The absence of wine benefited my sense of timing.

4. I did fold some cheese into this one. Number one got a sauce on the side because I forgot the cheese (again, wine).

I don’t know if the cheese helped this one rise, but without doubt the soufflé with the sauce was yummier!

So, even though we do have some rising here, we must wait for the proper sort of rising around the edges before we count a soufflé as one of The Three.

No comments: