Friday, April 20, 2007

New: Writer Searching for Meaningful Employment

Darn. Cancer scare. Don't really want to write about it right now (is this a postmodern moment?). All is well, though! Seriously, I think I'm going to live to be 100. And in the mean time, I want to find a job with a non-profit, or a foundation. Something. New feeling of not wanting to waste my life sitting in this cube doing nothing of any lasting value whatsoever. Not an entirely new feeling. Intensification of a feeling I've been having for years. But the kids are mostly raised up and now I can be selfish and work to help people instead of just put bread on the table, maybe. From time to time I scour the online job postings at non-profits, publishing houses, etc. Haven't turned up much yet. If I were a grant writer... how hard is grant writing, anyway? Maybe I should take a course. There are lots of great sounding jobs for grant writers, all over the place. It has to be more meaty than, well, what I'm doing now, which is like trying to live on chicken bones. Or if I had the personality to go to NYC and lead a publication team. Not. In that job I would be the chicken bones. I need a quiet little job, a brainy, researchy, I'm-going-to-fix-this-part-of-the-world-with-my-incredible-writing job. A shy, English major person's job. I wonder if the Southern Poverty Law Center would take me? I love their work, of course. But then, that's in Alabama. Honestly, though, I saw literally nothing in the STL area. Nothing. Nada. Not at all. A job has to open up in my town and then it has to come and get me! Is anybody out there? I'm here! I'm full of passion and vinegar and lots and lots of words!

No comments: