Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Harbingers: Little Blossoms of News


Newsiness.

Bird Report: The dove nesting in my dining room window now has one chick, that I can see. There may be more under her.

Garden Report: Peas! The peas are up in my garden! So is the spinach and rainbow chard, but the peas are cutest. And the hardest to get fresh (I read somewhere that if you don’t cook fresh peas within 24 hours of picking they’ll get starchy and lose their sweetness). Something has eaten all of the one little collard plant that lives on the southeast corner of the plot, but has not touched any of the other collards. Now there’s a low IQ bunny or caterpillar. Or a considerate one?

Flower Report: Lilacs! Some on my desk at work, some on the dining room table at home.

Game Report: Baseball, opening day! My first ever. Metal Ox’s first ever. (I just realized, this means we did get to lose our virginity together-- in a sense -- after all.) Metal Ox was so sweet. He told me about a couple he saw on TV who were going to their 50th (I may have the number wrong) opening day together, and how one day maybe we could say the same thing. And he bought each of us opening day banners and opening day balls. And, God bless his little heart, he bought me one of those crazily expensive Cardinals scorebooks! It doesn’t even matter to me that we lost the game to the Mets 'cause it was all so fun and sweet. And tonight – it’s World Series ring giveaway. Now there’s a (potential) once-in-a-lifetime thingy.

Meeting the Parents Report: It’s always a trip to meet a friend’s parental unit(s). On Friday The Princess (I’m back to calling you The P, my dear, because what with the M.H. Duchess’ picture living here now, to call you by The D might get confusing) brought her Mère to see the Pre-Raphaelites with us, then on to dinner. Delightful! We had a lovely time. And she even had something sensible to say about my soufflé project: Clean your oven.

And Now for The Bad News Report: Scorpio I is having the ocular histoplasmosis symptoms again. He sees the retina doc today. I can tell he is quite disturbed by this development. We were all hoping that the Avastin treatment had taken care of it once and for all. The implications of this reoccurrence are rather far-reaching. So, please, if you can, help him out with your positive thoughts and prayers for the health of his eye.


2 comments:

PMRSC said...

Given the history of French Ovens, their size, their being warmed by actual Fire (with soot), who'd have thought the pristine oven would be important?? Still, she may well have a point, ma mere. She had a great time with you, too, btw.

I will, in deed, light a candle and do some bowing on behalf of Scorpio 1's sad eyeball. How totally not fun.

The Lilacs are abloom out here too. The neighbors have these HUGE bushes. I'm totally stealing some later. Shhhhh.

Peace, SB (OK, call me Princess here if you like. I promise not to pull rank.)

Margaret Howard said...

Hmm, very good point about the old French ovens. The mere, though, was refering specifically to grease, or oil, which of course if the bane of all things egg that must rise. Since I'd had the spattering incident, which was smallish in the size of the particulate matter but widespread throughout the oven, it made sense to me. Or maybe I'm just not cooking it log enough.

Thanks for the eyeball candle. And I sort of snatched my lilacs, too. Sort of. I'll tell you later!