Tuesday, August 28, 2007

We Have Taste!

Let it be known that of the five eateries chosen by Bon Appetit magazine to best represent the five iconic American foods, -- pizza, ribs, steak, hamburgers, and tacos -- yours truly has eaten at two of them. Woo-hoo. 17th Street Bar and Grill in Murphysborough, Illinois won the amazing honor of best ribs in the whole freaking U.S., M'bo being, of course, right next door to my second-home-town of Carbondale, where I lived for 17 years. Yes, we are there all the time.

Best pizza went to Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, where of course Metal Ox and I vacationed last summer. Thank goodness for my persistent insistence that we eat there. It was truly wonderful in every way, even though they don't take reservations. They were quite kind even considering his obvious annoyance at having to wait in a separate building while I drank a glass of wine (which was fine by me) and then as we sat at the bar and watched Bianco himself craft the fabulous pizzas as we ate our own. It was, I admit, one of those times that one might have wished to be with someone who might get some enjoyment out of lingering and sampling, which MO is not into, his sensual abilities and senses being quite underdeveloped, poor thing, and him unwilling to be tutored... but I digress. I'm just glad I got to try this food-fired deliciousness.

For some reason Bon Appetit is not showing this "contest" prominently on it's web site, so I'm linking to Serious Eats in case you want to take a look.

Scorpio II is thrilled by the 17th Street development, as she has been on a quest to find the best ribs in the STL area since she's quit the vegetarian limitation. Bon appetit, Miss Girl!

No comments: