Friday, September 07, 2007

More Gibson, More Food

Wow. Busy week at work, little time to post.

So much going on this weekend. This- and That-Fests all over the city. Fab! Near my house: Taste of Lafayette Square, of course, from noon to 8PM on Saturday. Free concert in the park, samples for our wonderful restaurants. You simply have to come. Call me. We'll go.

Over in Benton Park, just around the corner, Schaffly will be sharing free samples of it's fall microbrews at Blues City Deli: www.bluescitydeli.com.

St. Louis Art Fair is happening over in Clayton: http://www.saintlouisartfair.com/.

And that's not all. There's no excuse for being bored around here, no there's not.

What other news? Cards are one game back. Cubs in the lead. My brother has given me green seat tickets for my birthday(!) for the Cards/Cubs game on the 15th! Ya, those are the seats where you get all your eats and drinks for free from real waiters, not to mention the behind the scenes buffet, and the fact that their right behind home plate. Ya, hate me. Go ahead. I can't wait! Nice brother. Or: nice, brother.

Finished reading my second William Gibson novel on two weeks. He's brought me back to my love of reading, after some disgruntled months coming in and out of boring books. Spook Country. Not quite the perfect thrill ride of Pattern Recognition, but lots of total fun as well as a pretty cool take on the current administration's ridiculous, wasteful, ugly, dangerous, and just plain stupid handling of intelligence, money, the Constitution, and "war" prisoners post 9-11. As seen through the eyes of artists and, well, Spooks, otherwise known as spies. With another fun woman primary protagonist.

Cayce in Pattern Recognition, that novels female lead, so much reminded me of me that I wish everyone who knows me would read it in order to know me better. I know, that's narcissistic. Also partly tongue-in-cheek. But really. Hollis, in Spook Country, doesn't so much remind me of me, and further more is a less well developed character all around. There are certain inconsistencies in her intelligence, for instance. She does a stroke of genius figuring out the nature of the VR box floating in the air above her head where a virtual giant squid covered in gorgeous and disturbing imagery in supposed to be, but she proves incredibly dense are other moments about things that would seem pretty darn easy to decipher. Or even to notice. Or suspect. I suspended my disbelief, however, because riding with her and the other characters was so much fun.

I do find it interesting that Gibson so often sets up a guy with a receding hairline as the most "attractive" male character to the female protagonist. Have you seen Gibson's photo lately? Funny. He has to know this is completely transparent.

Happy to have been invited to join a neighborhood book club. The monthly meetings include food made more or less to "match" the book. I love this neighborhood. Any excuse to make good food is immediately pounced upon! So, this weekend off to get Amy Tan's Saving Fish from Drowning.

Come on by this weekend, K?

No comments: