Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Notes

1. First private cheffing gig. So much fun! Learned so much. So lucky to have been engaged by a kind and gentle client. Couldn't have been more lovely gushing about the food from the guests. I worked about twice as hard as charged for it -- charging money is still hard for me. Something to work on. I worry so much about people's budgets. Not like mine has much wiggle room, so I can't explain why. But at any rate it was a good and happy experience, in spite of the fact that I lost my help at the last minute to SII's sudden pukiness, and my clothes drier broke the night before with all my clothes for the event wet in the washer so I had to spend part of my planned morning prep time in the laundry where the bitchy laundress declined to put a rush on drying them for me so that I could get back to work and go get the baguette and cut the figs even when I offered her a $20 tip to do so. And then I did find a darling friend who was able to give me 2.5 hours of prep help, and thank you dear really it would not have come together on time without you. So: lesson learned: have a back-up plan for help! Time to call the culinary school and ask for a list of willing chefs in training.

2. Must see movie: Trade. An engaging and well-made narrative film about human sex trafficking. Kevin Klein lends his well-trained acting and cache to the project. This film is not for kids, though. It's pretty graphic and grueling. But for those who are only marginally or even completely unaware of this horrendous injustice that's totally rampant in the world right now this is a pretty effective way to get them engaged. Especially since it manages to be uplifting in the end, though I won't say why so as not to spoil. http://www.tradethemovie.com/

3. Alice Waters has a new cookbook. Of course she is the local, simple, sustainable foods pioneer who inspires us all. I just read the introduction to the book and I must say that her words are so close to my feeling about food that I'd love to share them with you all: http://beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/ArticleView_artofsimplefood.

4. I was unaware that I had won a Best Individual Garden Award from Gateway Greening for my little plot in the Lafayette Square Community Garden, back in the earlier summer. I guess I read the email wrong! I am so happy. Inspired by this recognition I've decided to create little micro-worlds within the garden, starting in this fall/winter planting and organization, then hopefully coming to a fuller fruition in the spring. I went in last night and did a lot of pulling up of plants for fall clean-up. But I left the flowered-out basil because My God the bees are just loving it. I was at least three types of bee enjoying the flowers, especially the purple basil's tall blooms, while I was working. There were dozens on them, the bees, and it was really nice to work along side them. I have always found bees to be very friendly and cooperative, you know, as long as one doesn't frighten them or accidentally step on one or something. But who can you not say that of? I planted a sage plant, and two winter savories. I've got the idea to get a good variety of culinary herbs going. The globe basil is perennial and I will definitely leave that in. I also planted some pansies. Little violet colored ones. A little fall color, and if we're lucky they'll peak back out in spring. Oh! And I finally bought a Allium Giganteum! I can't wait for that one to bloom in spring! I've wanted one my whole life. My grandma Nonie grew them. The blooms are as big a softballs (or bigger) and they are just as magical as a moon growing in the garden. I may go down to Bowood and get some more. It's just that they're $5 a bulb, which actually isn't a bad price, but still. And five hyacinth, four white and one purple. I also took all the twiggy bamboo staking materials that had been supposedly supporting the okra, eggplants, and leggy sunflowers and made a couple of mystery-looking spots. And a brass Tibetan Buddha, small, under the skeleton tee-pee, a rock circle, some shells. I am beginning to feel my little garden as a sacred space. Cultivating that has to make for even yummier herbs and vegetables.

So, love and the joys of knowledge, compassion, earth, food, and growing things. Fall. Change. Never to forget change. The only constant.

No comments: